• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File small claim for bad service @ hair shop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigress06

HI Forum!

Any help to my dliemma would be GREATLY appreciated.

I am interested in filing a small claim against a hairstyling shop located in xxx, MI (outside Detroit.) I am from South Bend, IN.

Alot of things went wrong but I want a refund now that I have returned home from the holiday break and my hair is not lasting the way it should.

Basically I paid $160 for a hairstyle that should last aprox. 2-3 months. I got it done November 28th and several of the extensions have fallen out since then. The place I went to is a small business owned by some women who claim that their services are professional, quick, friendly, etc.. etc..

I looked at advertisement on their website online and also on an online directory (CraightList.com) and I talked with the woman that did my hair days in advanced and was led to believe I wouldn't have any problems with service.

However the hairstyle that I left with did not resemble the one I had originally picked out in a hair magazine. I made it clear that I wanted it to look, as closely as possible, to the image I picked out. (I have pictures of how I wanted it and how it came out)

Secondly it is advertised on the website that the hairstlye I wanted would take 4 hours with 2 people working on it. Mine took 7 1/2 hours with 2 people working on it. (I have screen capture of this page on the website)

Thirdly the woman (and owner) of the shop that was suppose to be helping me out through this transcation tried to change the price on me after I was done.

And most importantly, my extensions started to unravel TWO DAYS after I got my hair done. Keep in mind this style is suppose to last a couple of months. So the morning that I left Detroit I went back to the shop to have her fix it. And a day later after I had been home, several of my extensions came out. This is DEFINTLEY NOT suppose to happen.

I have a witness that was with me through everything pretty much: when the woman first quoted the original price (and then tried to change it), when I came and left the shop, and when I went back to have it fixed. I also have been taking pictures at every stage, and I have a reciept from when I purchased the actual hair used for the hairstyle (I do not have one for the $$ I gave have to the shop) and I have email correspondence and of course when all phone calls were placed and all the advertisement that I saw that blatantly states the shop is professional so the outcome WILL be so as well.

Would it be worth taking this case to court? I think I would only want to do it if I was almost certain I would win. I am 20 years old and a college student and don't have time to drive back and forth to Detroit for something just to get counter-sued or to lose. I think I have a plausible case but I don't know everything about the law.
I know I will have to file in Michigan because that is where the business is located but thats about it. ANY ADVICE OR TIPS???

Thanks very much,

Last edited by a moderator:

Antigone*

Have you called the salon and expressed your displeasure?

No one here can tell you if you are certainly going to win - none of us here is named Cleo and our crystal balls are on strike during the holidays.

You really have to decide if going to court, and all the after-court back and forth is worth the money. Getting a judgement is the easy part - lots of times it takes an act of God to collect.

Stay away from craig's list. More problems than solutions there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">