• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a false police report...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concernedmom63

What is the name of your state?SC

What is the law regarding filing a false police report? Recently, my son and I have found out that his wife out of anger over their pending divorce have filed several police reports against my son and I. She filed a report against my son for Criminal domestice violence alledging that they got into and argument and he burned her with an iron on the 1/1/05-report filed 3/28/05.

As for me, she filed a forgery/counterfeit charge against me alledging that I cash over 21 checks all over town totaling over $900 from 10/2/04 to 2/18/05, while she was away in boot camp. Of course she states that I had her checks but not her permission to use them. (Huge lie--since she wrote me from boot camp requesting that I retrieve her checkbook from male friend and keep up payments on her bills..especially cell and credit card) And yes, I still have the letter. I admit, I wrote 5 checks total paying her bills, ie cell, phone, light bill, home phone..etc. The checks I wrote were from 10/04 and 11/04..with her permission. She filed this report on 2/18/05. I spoke to the office handling the case today, and she is aware that this whole report appears to be fradulent once she realized after investigating some of the checks, she found the one that I used to pay my daught-in-laws credit card. So, I have a meeting with the officer on money to give her copies of other supporting edivence to prove that my daughter-in-law lied on this report.

What will happen to her if she is found guilty of filing a false report?

kidd_freeper

I want to bump this thread to the top.

My ex-wife filed a false disorderly conduct report as well. I'd like some protection from her use of the police department to act out her personnal vandetta.

CdwJava

It is almost impossible to prove this kind of offense as it generally requires some serious mind reading. If the allegations she made cannot even conceivably be supported by the facts, then MAYBE a case can be made. But if the facts are subject to interpretation, it's not likely to support the charge of filing a false police report.

In most states such a charge likely includes language requiring a knowing and willful (and, perhaps, malicious) filing of a false police report. Filing a report without all the facts - or even in factual error - is not necessarily a criminal offense.

So, don't count on any criminal remedy.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">