• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a return on 24.00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrampVamp

So I haven't filed in a few years....I haven't been 1099 so never bothered to file 0. I signed up for a multilevel marketing company and made 24.00 I did not file a return. But am freaking out about receiving questions/possible audit from not filing for so many years. What should do I?

TrampVamp

Thank you. I did know this. However...an old friend years ago got a letter asking about a 1099 for a couple of hundred dollars that was not filed. There must have been more to this. My fear is them asking why haven't you filed or what have you lived on for the past so and so years. So technically they should be contacting me.

Whoops2u

Thank you. I did know this. However...an old friend years ago got a letter asking about a 1099 for a couple of hundred dollars that was not filed. There must have been more to this. My fear is them asking why haven't you filed or what have you lived on for the past so and so years. So technically they should be contacting me.
The IRS matches the forms that come in and send a letter if there is income without it being reported. If they send a letter and you don't have to file you reply, "I don't have enough income to file."

adjusterjack

If you want to stay out of trouble with the IRS I suggest you go to the IRS website and download and read Publication 17 - Your income tax along with Schedule C and its instructions for your 1099 income.

Ditto your state's tax website if your state has income tax.

LdiJ

Your friend likely had other income and that is why he got the letter about the 1099. You will not get a letter about a 24.00 1099 if you have no other income. You do not have to file a tax return at all if you have regular income of less than 12,000 or self employment income of less than 400.00 and total income of less than 12,000.

I see no reason why they would contact you. They do not contact people asking how they supported themselves, except in very rare circumstances.

FlyingRon

I'm also rather surprised that if your sum total of business with this company was $24, you'd get a 1099. The threshold that REQUIRES such is a lot higher (and still less than the filing threshold.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">