• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing an appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I filed an appeal after a judgement was placed against me in magistrate court after a debt collection lawyer lied to me in court.(I am on Social Security so they can't garnish my income and they know this).They never responded to the appeal.Since I can't afford a lawyer I did all the paperwork myself.I looked online but I can't find out what to do now that they didn't respond to the appeal.Anybody out there that can help me out with this? I live in PA?

Thanks

adjusterjack

A judgment for what?

Lied about what?

That has nothing to do with them getting a judgment against you for owing the money.

On what grounds?

Judgement was for debt owed on credit card.Their lawyer and I made an agreement in court in front of the judge that they would send me paperwork to fill out
A judgment for what?

Lied about what?

That has nothing to do with them getting a judgment against you for owing the money.

On what grounds?

Judgement was for credit card debt.There lawyer made an agreement with me in court to send paperwork to me to fill out stating I had no hidden assets since I am on disability. Never sent it.So I filed an appeal because of the Social Security Act 207 which they know about and can't garnish my income.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is not grounds for an appeal.
Are they trying to garnish your income?

As of right now they have yet to act on the judgement.Since I have filed the Appeal to fight the decision,they haven't acted on it,since I think they can't till this is all over.

quincy

Are you sure you filed an "appeal" or did you apply for a stay of execution based upon a showing of exemption?

The latter is what seems appropriate given what you have said. The former doesn't.

Are you sure you filed an "appeal" or did you apply for a stay of execution based upon a showing of exemption?

The latter is what seems appropriate given what you have said. The former doesn't.

I filed an appeal in common pleas court to overturn the magistrates decision.

What did the magistrate do wrong?

I went to court and I made a deal with the debt collection lawyer since my only income is social security.Judgement was issued against me then the debt collection company backed out of a deal they made with me.Social security act 207 protects that income from being garnished and they know it.I filed the appeal to reverse the decision of the judgement since I feel I was taken advantage of.

The agreement was that the debt collection company would send me paperwork to sign that states I have no hidden assets.Once I did and they verified that they would no longer persue me.They never sent me any papers after numerous calls,but they have not acted on the judgement either (I think since they know my income is judgement proof).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">