• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing an SR-22

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Reverend

Was charged with DUI and had to surrender my
license for 30 days. The charge was reduced to Improper lane usage. However, I still must
file an SR-22 form to the DMV to get my license back. How or what do I say or tell my
insurance company the reason for filing the
form even though I was not convicted on the
original charge without my auto rates going
sky high? First time offender and perfect
driving record except for aforementioned.
State of Missouri. Any advice/info..truly
appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Reverend (edited August 17, 2000).]

P

peter

You should find the local court house and see if they have a public legal library, most decent size cities do. And start reserching the law.

I feel the same as you you were found guilty of a lesser offense, but you are going to learn a valuable lesson here Government employees will NEVER admit they are wrong, unless you have the proof and shove it under their nose, and then they still might say no,just to piss you off!

What is improper lane change, 2 points, most state you have to have 10 or more for them to reqiure sr 22, you were driving with insurance, a valid license and registration right?

Their has to be a ruling or a case that fits your situation, of course you can pay a lawyer to find one, but spend a little time yourself.

There has to be somewhere in their that says you must get sr 22 only after you are convicted of DUI, but knowing how they write stupid laws, it will say if your license was taken away for any reason you must get sr 22.....your was even if you are not guilty of the charge......

Then you WILL need a lawyer to fight this.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reverend:
Was charged with DUI and had to surrender my
license for 30 days. The charge was reduced to Improper lane usage. However, I still must
file an SR-22 form to the Dmv to get my license back. How or what do I say or tell my
insurance company the reason for filing the
form even though I was not convicted on the
original charge without my auto rates going
sky high? First time offender and perfect
driving record except for aforementioned.
State of Missouri. Any advice/info..truly
appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

R

Reverend

Thanks Peter...Yes, I had proper registration
title, etc. but because I was suspected of
DWI and found guilty re: BAC there was no
defense at the time. Two pts is what it cost
me and I was happy to accept that....My lawyer plea bargained to get me what I got!
Under 2 years probation, without another traffic incident, the DUI charge will never
show on my record. However, my main concern is how do I approach the insurance company
re: all of this without reason for penalty
of DUI and raising my rates. I must file the
SR-22 with DMV regardless of conviction. I have lost sleep over this whole matter which is the reason I'm still up at this hour, and
the fact that my attorney has not returned my
call from earlier this morning. I must do this to be considered for a temp.driving permit for another 60 days and complete a SATOP program.

P

peter

You just have ask your lawyer he really should have explained it to you that this might happen....and you should start researching the law yourself, It gets a little complicated, you were sort of found not guilty of DUI... it sort of reamins on your record so you probably will have to get sr 22 for the 2 years...

It not like you were found NOT GUILTY of DUI, then there would be no way they could make you get sr22, but you are in a sort of area, ....thats where you should learn how to research the law the time you spend in the next week to get these answers before you have to file for sr22 may save you thousands of $$$.

Its a whole lot better then going or watching some stupid baseball or footbal game huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">