• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Bankruptcy myself??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunsneak

Is this just wasting what little money I do have?

I payed a lawyer a retainer about 1 year ago of $200 and I am ready to lose it.

He needs another $600 from me and refuses to take any payments.

I have seen some information here and there on line regarding doing this myself.

Would I get slaughtered at the 341 meeting?

Can I get these forms at the public library or online?

If not where is the most economical place to get these forms?

I dont want to live to regret this one.

However, with child support I only have about $20 left to my name every month.

Thanks!

S

sunsneak

thanks for the reply..still wondering if I would get slaughtered at a 341 meeting though? wondering if i would get treated significantly different due to the fact that I am representing myself.

...really just wondering if I am exposing myself to a big waste of time by doing this or even worse, let's say that I am denied...what would happen then?

Last edited:

Ladynred

You wouldn't really be treated any differently in a 341 meeting filing pro se than you would with a lawyer. From all accounts I've seen here, as long as your paperwork is in order and your answers to the Trustees questions are honest, the 341 is a snap. As some are fond of saying here... it will take you longer to park than to be in the 341. A lawyer in a 341 basically does nothing anyway.

The NOLO press book on How to File Chapter 7 yourself is very good, walks you through everything. What intimidates most people is all the legal paperwork that comes your way from the court that would normally be handled by an attorney. If you can handle that much, then you'd do ok.

Filing Pro Se is always risky, but many people do it w/o any problems. A lot depends on your assets and what you may need to protect.

If you decide to file Pro Se, or get another lawyer, you need to get your $200 filing fee back from the first attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">