• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing complaint against bailiff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Protester420

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

My boyfriend and I protest an unjust law in front of the closest courthouse every day. A few days ago, we were told we couldn't stand by the front door. We decided to attempt a circumnavigation of the entire building. After only completing half the perimeter, we were told not to go to a particular side of the courthouse because it was where the Judge came out and they wanted to "protect the Judge's safety". Well, we were being completely peaceful and just making sure we showed the signs to all windows but we moved back to the parking lot.
The next day (yesterday), we stood by the front door anyway because I came to the realization that the bailiff who told us not to stand by the front door was wrong. The courthouse is public property.
Since then, we've been testing the limits. We've held our signs pressed up against the windows and even drawn peace signs and smiley faces on the windows in the condensation from our breath.
The one thing that bailiff hated most, though, was that we decided to go in. We read every sign they had posted. One said that they could provide information about court scheduling and court procedures, among other things. He was extremely rude. As I read the sign, he snarled "Can I help you with something?". I politely said "No thanks, I'm just reading the information posted.".
My boyfriend went in. He read the sign, requested information about court scheduling (particularly trials related to our cause) and the same rude bailiff muttered "S'over there." There was no information provided anywhere. We had to call 411 to get the courthouse phone number to ask for scheduling information.

So, we would like to file a complaint against Bailiff. Firstly, he lied about not being allowed to stand at the front door. And then, he was just plain rude to us. We are always polite when protesting at the courthouse.

Could anyone tell me the correct place to lodge my complaint? If it's necessary, I can provide more information about where this happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

You make a personnel complaint to the bailiff's supervisor or employing agency, whoever that might be.

- Carl

Protester420

Carl- How would I go about finding that information? The court's website only gives directions.

Steve- Thanks for the feedback. That's a good point. However, the courthouse is a practical spot for us to protest. It's where we think something wrong is happening.

Mass_Shyster

Steve- Thanks for the feedback. That's a good point. However, the courthouse is a practical spot for us to protest. It's where we think something wrong is happening.
The legislators are the ones who write the laws, not the courts.

In Massachusetts, the law was changed by the voters, not the courts, nor the politicians. Hopefully, you've got a petition in your hand while you protest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your place to begin as at the courthouse. This is a good lesson as to why it's a bad idea to burn your bridges...

CdwJava

Obviously you are protesting marijuana laws ... the "420" sort of gives that away.

But, as to how to make a complaint against the bailiff - and I am not sure his actions were improper - you will have to call and find out who his supervisor is. In many counties it will be the Sheriff or the Marshall (depending on how your county is organized). It might also be the presiding judge of the court. You'll probably have to call around and find out.

- Carl

Protester420

420 only gives it away if you've got at least some knowledge on the subject. What I'm protesting should be no difference though. This isn't a forum for debating whether or not marijuana should be legal, so I won't get into it here :]

Also, I'm aware that the legislators write the law. We call everyday. But, without getting our message out, the people won't get their voices heard. We encourage anyone who vocally supports us to call their local representatives.

Carl- Thank you for the clear answers!

justalayman

=Protester420;2392838]420 only gives it away if you've got at least some knowledge on the subject.
so, tell us, how does 420 actually relate to marijuana?

What I'm protesting should be no difference though. This isn't a forum for debating whether or not marijuana should be legal, so I won't get into it here :]
Not sure anybody asked you to.

while you do have a right to protest on the courthouse steps, you do not have a right to be a public nuisance and actions such as:

We've held our signs pressed up against the windows and even drawn peace signs and smiley faces on the windows in the condensation from our breath.
those actions might actually get you arrested and righteously so.

Don't you know that somebody actually pays to have the windows cleaned and showing signs in the windows, if a courtroom will quite likely get you arrested.

as to the area the judge enters and exits: they are correct. They do have a right to prevent access to an area especially if they believe you may be a threat.

Your rights to protest are constitutional but they can make laws controlling the place and actions. If you are in front of the door and appear to obstruct anybody, another citation or arrest.

I didn't really read anything that the bailiff did that was necessarily wrong. Some actions could be under certain circumstances and depending exactly what was said but, in general, I don't see any inappropriate actions.

btw; the bailiff is not in charge of scheduling and may not have a clue as to the answer you sought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">