• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing deadline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rambla

Anyone know the drop dead filing date for chapter 7 in California before the new October 17 laws take effect. Is there a lead time neccessary to make that date or can you file the day before and still make it?

Thanks

Debt Guy

The absolute literal deadline is 11:59 pm on October 16.

But, and I think I said this before, all the bankruptcy attorneys I know are saying that they are not taking new clients after September 30.

If you are thinking of filing pro se, I strongly encourage you to reconsider. If you don't dot the i's and cross the t's exactly right, you will get bounced and then be up that proverbal creek of excrement with no motive device.

lucky4822

indiana
im sorry if that sounded rude i didnt mean it to. but yea its still on my boards ill try to copy it ...

The new law goes into effect on 10/17. Any cases filed BEFORE that date are under the new law. Lawyers are swamped, some are saying ALL papers must be ready to file by 9/30. Call around if you're going to use a lawyer, find out what their last possible date is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">