• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Extension - Waiting for wife's ITIN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faisalk80

I currently reside in FL. I got married in December 2018. I would like to file as married filing jointly but for that i need to get an ITIN for my wife who is a non-resident alien and lives overseas. I got a signed W7 from her and about to file for an ITIN number. My question is, can i use her ITIN as soon as it is issued? I do not owe any taxes but i expect my refund to go up if i file jointly with my wife. Currently without my wife, i qualify as head of the household claiming my mom and dad. So should i file for an extension, file for my wife's ITIN, and use it when it is issued to file as MFJ? Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks!

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My question is, can i use her ITIN as soon as it is issued?
Yes.

So should i file for an extension, file for my wife's ITIN, and use it when it is issued to file as MFJ?
That's probably the easier way to go. If you are sure that you're getting a refund then just file the Form 4868 for the extension and make sure you have postmarked no later than April 15. Your other option is to file married filing separately by April 15 and then amend that return to married filing jointly later. But that is more cumbersome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">