• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing "first"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waitinMd

What is the name of your state? MD

Why is filing first so important?

I tried to file for paternity through the child support division the end of July. They saw me, finished completing the form for me, even adding my ex's social security number to my form!!! But they would NOT take my application.

The lady looked in the computer, and because my ex has state health insurance, she said, "it's not born yet, come back when it is born."

If you read my previous post, you know my situation. I couldn't file because I didn't KNOW it was born. I was waiting for the phone call she promised me.

She told me the 18th that is wasn't mine, she miscalculated, then she said, "I am filing for paternity tomorrow." My lawyer can't file until Tuesday. He is filing an emergency motion.

Is it going to look bad on me because she (supposedly) filed for paternity first?

I have my papers from social services and the womens name that I saw. They have record I was there!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In your situation, I doubt who files first is going to have any impact whatsoever. It can be a factor when a couple is married, for instance, in that the parent filing for custody first often gets to set the "tone" of the process. As in - the other parent is abusive, absent, etc. But in your situation, you're looking to find out whether or not the child is yours and then move from there to custody/visitation issues.

waitinMd

Thanks again :)

I also have my letter my lawyer sent her in June asking her if she wanted to go to mediation. So I have been trying!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">