• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for bankrupcy as an independent contractor -documenting business expenses??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DF79000

I'm in Pennsylvania and considering bankruptcy. I am on disability and work part-time as an independent contractor (1099), making about $5-$8K a year. Is it a bad idea to file for bankruptcy if I don't have receipts for all of the business expenses I claimed on last years tax return? I.e., is it wiser for me to wait a year to file and make sure that I have all of my income and expenses well documented and reported on next year's tax return before I file for bankruptcy? Or do I make so little that they are unlikely to scrutinize my tax returns too much?

I am currently being sued by Amex. Because I make so little and own no property, I know they can't garnish my wages or take any property. I wonder if I am better off letting them get a judgement against me, waiting a year, and filing for bankruptcy once I have all my paperwork in better order than I do right now.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will have to turn over your information during the bankruptcy process. Your best bet is to discuss this with a bankruptcy attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">