• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for Divorce in a different state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
After 12 years...why the rush?
You don't have to be physically present in CA during the filing, and you might not need to be present at all. Your best bet would be (as advised 6 months ago) a California attorney. Had you reached out to a CA attorney then, you could be (or very nearly be) divorced now.

Just Blue

Thank you for the responses! My concern now is if I can expedite the process and not wait for meeting residency in NY....OR, if my best bet is filing in Cali, can I do so online or do I have to be physically present during filing?
Please answer zddoodah questions...on this thread.

roomie

After 12 years...why the rush?
You don't have to be physically present in CA during the filing, and you might not need to be present at all. Your best bet would be (as advised 6 months ago) a California attorney. Had you reached out to a CA attorney then, you could be (or very nearly be) divorced now.
Thank you, Zigner! Can I do this on my own, filing online and without an Attorney?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
One of the problems in litigating the divorce in NY is that while the NY courts may dissolve the marriage, they would not have personal jurisdiction over your spouse for any property division and support issues because your spouse does not live in NY and presumably has no property located there either. You'd have litigate those issues in California. So if you need to resolve those sorts of issues too, might as well just do the divorce in California too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">