• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing in NYS - will I lose my property in another state or my IRA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justaguest

I am considering filing bankruptcy in NYS. I own a building lot in another state (SC) and also have some money in an IRA. Will I lose either of these? TIA for any help.

FlyingRon

It would depend on which form of bankruptcy you are considering. Retirement accounts are usually safe from being used to satisfy our debts. The building lot is usually fair game for liquidation. When you are filing your case, you have to sit down (preferably with an attorney) and decide if the Federal or NY State protections are better for you. The Federal has broader exemptions, but some of the NY limits are higher (for example for tools of the trade or vehicles).

adjusterjack

Your IRA is safe.

The other property, maybe not. What kind of property? Any equity? Do you own a home in NY? Any equity in it?

FlyingRon

It's almost certainly fair game for the creditors. Equity in your principal residence is protected under NY and Federal law to various extents, but not places you aren't living.

Justaguest

It's almost certainly fair game for the creditors. Equity in your principal residence is protected under NY and Federal law to various extents, but not places you aren't living.
Thanks so much for your answer. I think I've decided against it.

LdiJ

Thanks so much for your answer. I think I've decided against it.
Part of what you consider is what is the building lot really worth? If its one of those lots that were sold at potential resorts and the resort has not seriously taken off, then its not really worth considering. If its a building lot that is worth serious money, then it might be in your best interest to simply sell it and pay off your debts. If it's something that is starting to be worth serious money, but will be worth seriously more in the next 5-10 years then maybe its worth avoiding bankruptcy for as long as possible...but then eventually selling the lot and paying off debts rather than actually filing.

Justaguest

It's in an upscale golf community less than a mile from the ocean with no HOA fees, which is unheard of in that area. It would definitely be worth selling in the future when things pick back up. Thanks again.

LdiJ

It's in an upscale golf community less than a mile from the ocean with no HOA fees, which is unheard of in that area. It would definitely be worth selling in the future when things pick back up. Thanks again.
Then my advice would be holding off as long as possible and selling it prior to filing any bankruptcy. The bankruptcy trustee will definitely sell it to put towards your debts and you likely can do better selling it yourself.

zddoodah

I am considering filing bankruptcy in NYS. I own a building lot in another state (SC) and also have some money in an IRA. Will I lose either of these?
The money in the IRA is likely exempt, but how could we otherwise have the slightest idea?

Even if you had told us whether you're going to file under Ch. 7 or Ch. 13 (or some other Chapter), one would have to be fully informed about your financial situation to answer this question intelligently. Obviously, this is something you should discuss with your bankruptcy attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">