• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing to change jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Senior Member
What is the name of your state? MO

As I've posted previously, my child's father has filed to determine paternity and establish visitation and support. I'm all for all of that.

However, he filed in county X and I (and the baby) live in county Y. I was previously advised that while techinically incorrect on his part, if I don't argue with it, it's acceptable. I'm choosing to argue with it because I don't want to have to deal with a county I've never been a resident of and never plan to be a resident of for the rest of my kids' life.

SO... how do I file to dispute jurisdiction? Is this just yet another form I get at the clerk's office?

I'd like to do this today or tomorrow, so any fast help is greatly appreciated.


Senior Member
Not sure about your county but in my state, it can be filed in any parish one of the parties resides in. (Parish = same thing as county)

When my husband filed for paternity, visitation for a kid he has out of wedlock (born before we were ever together), he filed it in the parish we live in, mom lives like 2 parishes over. MOM had to drive 40 min every time (each way) there was something going on. Also, I think it has to be heard in said parish from now on, meaning Mom will have to drive if there are any more court dates/issues.

So, I dont know how you'd get it moved if Dad lives in county X. Maybe someone in your state will know if it can be changed or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential