• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filling out a Personal Representative's Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmcot

What is the name of your state?Colorado

Things are moving along fairly smoothly in the liquidation of my late brother's estate in Colorado. His house is on the market and nearly sold but the buyer backed out.

Fortunately, I learned that to sell his house, I have to fill out a Personal Representative's Deed in order to sell. I need a bit of help with the legal terms of the form. Is there a website that explains the form?

I need to know what to fill in where the form says "...,Grantor, to" ________ "Grantee, whose legal address is"________of the_______County of_______...

Is that where the buyer's name(s) and address go? Also, every line on the form that says, "_______County of_______" is confusing. I know his county was Arapahoe which comes after the word "County of", but what goes in the space before the county?

pojo2

Under what authority are YOU liquidating the Estate, as the Executor of the Estate?

Sounds like you might be in over your head. Is the Estate in Probate?

wmcot

The estate is in informal probate in Colorado and I am the executor/Personal Representative. His estate is pretty simple as he did not have anything much of value other than his home. Everything else has been liquidated or otherwise taken care of. Once I sell his home I can pay his debts (at least as far as the money in his estate will go.)

pojo2

What is "informal probate"?

Where you appointed as the Personal Representative by the court or self appointment?

wmcot

Under Colorado law, estates under a certain dollar amount may be handled under "informal probate." This eliminates a lot of the paperwork going back and forth to the court every time something is done with the estate. A set of guidelines is given when informal probate is filed and it's just a matter of following these guidelines. Essentially, they have eliminated the state's courts from handling the large number of smaller estates.

I was appointed by the court as directed in my brother's will.

BlondiePB

wmcot, IMO you were asked some irrelevant questions.

The grantor is wmcot, Personal Representative. The grantee is the buyer. Prior to the county goes the name of your state. Perhaps one the attorneys that read these posts can tell you if it is the address of the buyer that goes on the form. Better yet, call a local probate or real estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">