• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filling out DEEDS correctly-HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gypsyrose1

What is the name of your state? california

When transfering the deed from step-dad to step-son after mother passes away, should both names of the grantors be on the deed or should it be just the servivng grantor listed.? the deed is the main residence of the grantors and is being transfered as a gift. the form which is being filed is a grant deed.

HomeGuru

gypsyrose1 said:
What is the name of your state? california

When transfering the deed from step-dad to step-son after mother passes away, should both names of the grantors be on the deed or should it be just the servivng grantor listed.? the deed is the main residence of the grantors and is being transfered as a gift. the form which is being filed is a grant deed.
**A: confusing post because of the first sentence.
Did mother already pass away? Who is on title and what is the type of tenancy that title is held?

G

gypsyrose1

Deeds

california

Mother just passed away....they have a joint tenency deed with mother and step-dad as grantors....now with only the step-dad still alive, he wants to put the home in his step-sons name...should the new deed they fill out have both parents as grantors or just his step-dads name...the new forms are titled- grant deed....thank you very much for your response, I apprieciate it a lot!

HomeGuru

Re: Deeds

gypsyrose1 said:
california

Mother just passed away....they have a joint tenency deed with mother and step-dad as grantors....now with only the step-dad still alive, he wants to put the home in his step-sons name...should the new deed they fill out have both parents as grantors or just his step-dads name...the new forms are titled- grant deed....thank you very much for your response, I apprieciate it a lot!

**A: because of the passing of Mom and the joint tenancy, the property is automatically owned soley by step-dad. The death certificate should be filed
at the recorder's office. Once this is done, a Quit Claim Deed can be used to deed the property to the stepson.
Use an attorney rather than just blank forms picked up at some stationary store.

L

LLG

I have the same problem. My father passed away and i need to take him off the grant deed. if i quit claim it after to add my name with my mothers does the loan have to be paid off as well. there is a mortage on the home. I'm in california as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">