• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Film Distribution Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheen2608

I reside in India and I was approached by a media distribution company based in Miami in September, through a film festival in Nigeria. I signed and sent them the contract in December 2018. The contract states that the Law of state of New York is applicable. I received no confirmation or any other information from them until this week. This time they asked me for the required deliverables and sent me a new contract dated 2019, with minor changes. My question is if I have not received a signed copy of the contract dated 2018 from them up until now, can I bow out of the contract with any hassle? The contract does mention that it is not binding upon either Party until a copy of this Agreement has been executed by each Party and has been delivered to the other Party.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The contract does mention that it is not binding upon either Party until a copy of this Agreement has been executed by each Party and has been delivered to the other Party.
That would seem to answer your question. Without having read the entire contract and knowing the background I cannot say if there is an argument to be made here that there is a contract in effect, however.

quincy

I reside in India and I was approached by a media distribution company based in Miami in September, through a film festival in Nigeria. I signed and sent them the contract in December 2018. The contract states that the Law of state of New York is applicable. I received no confirmation or any other information from them until this week. This time they asked me for the required deliverables and sent me a new contract dated 2019, with minor changes. My question is if I have not received a signed copy of the contract dated 2018 from them up until now, can I bow out of the contract with any hassle? The contract does mention that it is not binding upon either Party until a copy of this Agreement has been executed by each Party and has been delivered to the other Party.
The contracts need to be personally reviewed in their entirety and more facts are needed to tell you if you are legally bound by the terms of the contract you previously signed.

What "deliverables" were you required to send for this Nigerian film festival? I believe the dates for the festival were February 12 and 13 of this year, according to their online publication.

Last edited:

quincy

sigh...

Should we call it the Walking Thread?? ...lol...get it?
Haha. Yup.

I guess the moderator has a few more posts to edit out of this thread now to get it sent back to March (where it belongs).

Although, if we keep this thread going long enough, it will be time for the 2020 film festival. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">