• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final Bill??

• Thread starter alwaysaquestion
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alwaysaquestion

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I've been involved in a very long divorce decree modification. Every so often, my lawyer's office would sent an itemized bill, which I would look over and pay. There has been no problem up until now.

In May of 2004, he sent me a statement with a letter attached that says "Please find enclosed my final bill regarding this matter". The bill was paid.
Then at that point the other party refused to sign the agreement and the lawyer had to do a little more work to get it finished. I do not disagree that I owe him for this work.
However, when this bill came, there were items on the billing that dated back into 2002-2004, before the "final bill". (The work I definately owe him for totals about $800, the other charges total $2700)
Please advise me as to what my rights are, and any thoughts on handling this appropriately would be appreciated.

A

alwaysaquestion

State: Missouri

Hi,
I haven't talked to him yet....I was afraid of saying anything until I gathered information. I don't want to feel ignorant or get "bullied" into paying what I shouldn't (if this is the case).

A

alwaysaquestion

OK, I called to talk to them about the "final bill", but the billing lady is out of town until 7/21.
Advice in the meantime?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">