• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

final inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bronchospaz

In California, as a landlord, am I required to allow a tenant to be present during a final inspection? I really don't want her looking over my shoulder while I'm trying to thoroughly inspect for cleanliness and damage.

CA LL

You must offer a PRE MOVEOUT inspection (NOT the same thing as final inpsection) and they can then request one and be present. You have the 21 days to do the final so it's not a one time "thing" and no....no requirement for a tenant to be present while you are doing that one..just the PMI if they request one based on your written offer.

bronchospaz

I live 500 miles away from the property and can't make multiple trips. I could have a friend do the pre inspection but what if she misses things I want to charge for later?

FarmerJ

Bron then if your going to have a 3rd party do the inspection why not create a detailed check list? example , start with kitchen the person who does the inspection can circle areas that need cleaning , like under kitchen you list counters , then inside the drawers, inside the cabs, inside the fridge, under the fridge, If stove is moveable , under stove, walls & floors. Then on list have word stains , burns, so the other person can circle them and take pics for you later or so you can take pics your self, same with each room and inc things like dirty light fixtures , windows, If the pre move out insp is done with enough time ahead the tenant can be given a copy and have the chance to reclean it all before you show up after move out with a camera to take pics of the units condition & re mark a whole new check list.

CA LL

You need to fully read CA Civil Code 1950.5 AND abide by it! Your location vs the rental is not an excuse to not follow the law. You can have an authorized/qualified third party do the PRE but they had better fully understand what is involved and follow the law. The offer should have been issued when notice was given..WAS IT? Did the tenant REQUEST the PRE moveout inspection allowed per CA law?

bronchospaz

I sent a letter yesterday via next day mail, offering the inspection. If they accept, a friend (real estate agent) agreed to do the inpection with my detailed list. No, they did not request an inspection. She did request to be at the final inspection, what are the laws regarding requesting to attend?

My next question is- What if she (the agent) doesn't see something, that I want to add later?
Also, on the original rental agreement, we noted that there was a stain on the carpet and that a tile had a crack, during the move in walk through. What if they say that other damages were there prior to move in?

I don't mean to sound like I'm nit-picking, but these people seem like they might do that. I'm a little paranoid and they are my first tenants. I want to make sure I do everything right.

Last edited:

cabanks27

Wait, so the stain and crack WERE there at move in? So it was not caused by the current resident. They don't get charged for it. That is why you do a move in inspection report.

As far as if your agent doesn't see something, if you don't trust them, then do it yourself. You don't get to screw your tenants over because you are too lazy to be a proper landlord.

bronchospaz

HOLD ON! I have no intention of screwing them over! I don't want to be taken advantage of! I have bent over backwards with these people and they have taken advantage of me every chance they get. I'm offended at being called lazy! I plan on abiding by law of the state of CA, THATS WHY I'M HERE!

My point is this- We did the move in walk through, we mutually agreed about the items and noted them on the agreement and signed it. I was asking, if they claim that damages were there before they moved, when they WERE NOT, what are my rights?

bronchospaz

They didn't do it! That's why it was noted on the rental agreement during the "MOVE IN walk through" as prexisting damage.

cabanks27

Oh I see. The way you worded things was confusing.

The move in inspection sheet is for the tenant's protection. If there are damages that are not noted on the SIGNED move in inspection sheet, the tenant is responsible for those damages (less reasonable wear and tear).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Cabanks doesn't understand, but the rest of us do :)

You are not concerned about marking down the damage that was present at move-in (as noted on the rental agreement), but you DO want to hold the tenant responsible for any damages that were NOT listed at move-in.

cabanks27

And yes, if they wish to be present for the walk through you must allow them to be. As a landlord, we often have to do things that are "uncomfortable". Such is the nature of the business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">