• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Final pay and company equipment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

podinmn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN & LA
I worked from my home for a company in LA. I was salaried. The company laid me off due to financial problems. They are refusing to give me my final paycheck because I have their equipment. I signed an agreement that I would send back the software dongle at the end of my employment with the company, which I will do. However they are saying that they also want back computer equipment that there is no paperwork for. Can they do this. I am not sure if I would fall under MN or LA labor laws.

ecmst12

If they gave the computer to you, you must give it back. Refusing to do so is theft. Send them back their property and file a separate unpaid wage claim with the MN dept of labor (since that is the state where you worked).

podinmn

I understand that and I don't have a problem sending back the computer. My biggest concern is can they withhold my final paycheck? I was told from someone inside the company that it would be in my best interest to be sure my check clears.

ecmst12

No, they can't withhold your check but right now you are BOTH in the wrong. That's why I said you should send the computer back before making your wage claim. Whether they send your check or not, you have no right to hold their equipment.

xylene

That's why I said you should send the computer back before making your wage claim. Whether they send your check or not, you have no right to hold their equipment.
This is true, BUT be sure to get paperwork certifying the return of the computer, AT THE EXACT moment you return it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">