• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Advisor Confidentiality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

levidenum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR/WA

My uncle had a financial advisor in Washington. He passed away, my dad and other uncle are in charge of the estate, we live in Oregon. They do not know how to email. I sent the Financial Advisor an email on their behalf with their names and mine listed at the bottom.

The financial advisor gave this email, without permission, to other family members and it has started a argument on how much money my uncle had. The letter was innocent but if you did not know the previous conversation, could be taken the wrong way. Now a law suit is being started because the siblings think my dad and uncle are hiding something, I think it all stemed from this email that they should have never seen.

Can we press charges against the financial advisor for giving them this email without our permission or a court order (they didn't even have a lawyer yet, I am sure just asked).

efflandt

A general common sense rule for e-mail is to never say anything you do not want made public, since it usually passes through unknown networks and mail servers as plain text, and you have no control over what the receiver does with it. It is also easily forged (spammers, scammers).

If everything is being handled properly and legally with nothing to hide, what possible evidence could anyone discover for a lawsuit, and what would be your financial loss?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">