• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial info for I-864

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popeye23

What is the name of your state? Ca

I am in the process of filling out the I-864 sponsor form and will submit it soon.
My spouse has recently sent in her required paperwork, and I have paid all the required fees..
A few situation facts:
1.I have not filed a tax return for over 20 years
2. I do not want to disclose that I receive money from social security and SSI,
plus other sources, non criminal, but off the grid and difficult to prove..
3.I will of course provide my SS# and list an annual income amount but do not
plan to say where it comes from. I plan to give no financial information, nor provide an income printout from SSA as would be a reason why no tax returns are filed or required. I will provide some verifiable and very good financial information for my wife.
4.Knowing ahead of time I could never meet the requirements of section 213A as a sponsor, we have a family member who does qualify and is willing to be a joint sponsor.

Questions one:,
When my I 864 is reviewed and they see no financial info at all from myself, and no reason why a tax return is not required, will this still get me that little check box under "for Gov use only" that reads, "does not meet the requirements of section 213A"?

Question two:
How soon after I am notified I do not meet the requirements under section 213A can the joint sponsor submit their I 864? or can the sponsor and joint sponsor both submit I 864's at the same time?

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state? Ca

I am in the process of filling out the I-864 sponsor form and will submit it soon.
My spouse has recently sent in her required paperwork, and I have paid all the required fees..
A few situation facts:
1.I have not filed a tax return for over 20 years
2. I do not want to disclose that I receive money from social security and SSI,
plus other sources, non criminal, but off the grid and difficult to prove..
3.I will of course provide my SS# and list an annual income amount but do not
plan to say where it comes from. I plan to give no financial information, nor provide an income printout from SSA as would be a reason why no tax returns are filed or required. I will provide some verifiable and very good financial information for my wife.
4.Knowing ahead of time I could never meet the requirements of section 213A as a sponsor, we have a family member who does qualify and is willing to be a joint sponsor.

Questions one:,
When my I 864 is reviewed and they see no financial info at all from myself, and no reason why a tax return is not required, will this still get me that little check box under "for Gov use only" that reads, "does not meet the requirements of section 213A"?

Question two:
How soon after I am notified I do not meet the requirements under section 213A can the joint sponsor submit their I 864? or can the sponsor and joint sponsor both submit I 864's at the same time?
FACT: you as the petitioning spouse must complete an I-864 (contract) Affidavit of Support whether your current income is sufficient or not.
Your stated income must be documented.
FACT: your most recent tax return is required by law.
FACT: you must declare that you've filed your last 3 years of federal tax returns or state why they were not required.

Maybe you should review INA 213; I don't think that a Joint Sponsor will address Question 1.
Q2; the two I-864s may be submitted at the same time.

popeye23

FACT: you as the petitioning spouse must complete an I-864 (contract) Affidavit of Support whether your current income is sufficient or not.
Your stated income must be documented.
FACT: your most recent tax return is required by law.
FACT: you must declare that you've filed your last 3 years of federal tax returns or state why they were not required.

Maybe you should review INA 213; I don't think that a Joint Sponsor will address Question 1.
Q2; the two I-864s may be submitted at the same time.
I understand what you mean when you say:"FACT: you must declare that you've filed your last 3 years of federal tax returns or state why they were not required", and thank you for your input.

Tax returns for me would not be required because the income comes from SSA/SSI and I am not required to file. I can document that with the printout from SSA.
But if I do not submit that printout with the I-864, I still do not meet the requirments of section 213A?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">