• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Information - What does the Divorce Lawyer actual need to know?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jerseygrl123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

- I filled out the CIS information for the discovery phase. My lawyer's paralegal came back to me asking for all the bank accounts and credit card statements for each month from past 2 years. why do they need all this if i have already provided summary of the information?

It seems a bit scary giving all the details ( account #s , statements,etc. ) to lawyer. When i looked at the CIS from NJ department, it doesn't ask for any of the bank or credit card statements to be submitted. The required documents that needs to be submitted are the W2, 1099 and 401k statement and recent paystubs.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It does not sound out of line at all to be asked for such information as part of discovery.

Looking at your bank and credit card statements could very well be useful in documenting your particular financial situation.

I don't know, in your particular case, if all those statements are necessary - it depends on how amicable the divorce is, and whether there is any money worth arguing over.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

- I filled out the CIS information for the discovery phase. My lawyer's paralegal came back to me asking for all the bank accounts and credit card statements for each month from past 2 years. why do they need all this if i have already provided summary of the information?

It seems a bit scary giving all the details ( account #s , statements, etc. ) to lawyer. When i looked at the CIS from NJ department, it doesn't ask for any of the bank or credit card statements to be submitted. The required documents that needs to be submitted are the W2, 1099 and 401k statement and recent paystubs.
The fact that you don't want to release the bank and credit card is probably why the attorney wants to see them.

Anyway you are mistaken in your belief that opposing counsel is limited to the financial data as called for by the "Case Information Statement".

Rule 5:1-1 of the New Jersey Court Rules " addresses discovery in civil family actions and permits "as a matter of right" requests for the production of documents as well as written interrogatories, depositions and requests for admissions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">