• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Liability for Spouse in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Victoria Kaas

My brother, a PA resident, died of cancer two months ago. He was a diabled veteran who had VA medical and Medicare A and B coverage. Over the last couple years he paid numerous visits to private hospitals of an emergency nature not covered by the VA or Medicare. He died two months ago and now his unemployed widow (my sister-in-law) is getting bills for thousands of dollars (perhspa $5-7K). Most are coming to his name but some are starting to come to her name. Some are from the hospital, others are from attorney/collection agencies, starting to sound threatening. She has no money and currently no job. Is she financially liable for these bills? What is the law in PA? She did not sign for them, has no health insurance to claim , etc. I am trying to help her draft responses to the creditors but wanted to know what the laws of PA are on this issue before I do. My brother was penniless and had zero assets and many debts; my husband and I even ended up financing the funeral. His widow has no assets and is currently a stay-at-home Mom with a four year old daughter. The only money she receives is a small amount of social security for the two of them. Thanks much, Victoria

[Edited by Victoria Kaas on 11-29-2000 at 04:59 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">