• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial obligations of a whife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lfgreene

What is the name of your state?Arizona. I have recently became disabled and do not work however, my wife does work. She insists that all the bills for living expenses are my responsibility alone. Is she correct? Any information would be greatly appreciated

BelizeBreeze

lfgreene said:
What is the name of your state?Arizona. I have recently became disabled and do not work however, my wife does work. She insists that all the bills for living expenses are my responsibility alone. Is she correct? Any information would be greatly appreciated
Tell her to grow the hell up. And if she doesn't then divorce her ass and file for alimony.

nextwife

For living expenses for you AND she? Spouses are responsible for each other and their household together. THere is no rule that says that wifes are not equally responsible to share in the needs of their household. How does she think the bills will get paid? If she is on the accounts, she is JUST as responsible to the creditor as are you.

Are you BOTH on the accounts in question? Or is the home your own, and maybe your vehicle, seperate, PREMARITAL property?

Added note:

I like Breezy's suggestion. Divorce her selfish ass and sue for alimony. Then let a JUDGE tell her what she's responsible for!

Last edited:

LdiJ

lfgreene said:
Of course all the bills for living expenses are not your responsibility alone. This really isn't a legal issues, its a family issue.

However, I suspect that what is going on is that in your marriage your income has covered the living expenses and her income has covered other things...or has been hers to use on a discretionary basis. Now you are disabled and bringing in much less....and she expects the previous division to remain the same.

The two of you need to sit down and seriously discuss the family finances. Put it all down on paper so its clearly understood what the obligations are vs the income that is coming in.

If its a situation where some of those living expenses are going towards property that you are claiming as separate property...or has been set up to go to someone other than her if you die...then she may have some right on her side. If her income is committed towards other things then her attitude might also be understandable...unfair but understandable.....particularly if your income would still cover the living expenses.

I went through this with my parents a few years back. The two of you need to seriously communicate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">