• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding a deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amchandl

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

What's the best way to find out whether or not there is a deed to a piece of property?

HomeGuru

amchandl said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

What's the best way to find out whether or not there is a deed to a piece of property?

**A: search the title or real property tax office.

amchandl

Is it possible that it is listed at the tax office but there is no official deed? Could just a survey have been given to the tax office and they are going by that instead of an official deed?

HomeGuru

amchandl said:
Is it possible that it is listed at the tax office but there is no official deed? Could just a survey have been given to the tax office and they are going by that instead of an official deed?

**A: what are you talking about? What is your specific problem?

amchandl

My husbands brother, who is a real jerk, had the family farm surveyed up the way he wanted to. Some of the land (40 acres worth) had already been deeded by their father to someone else. My husband signed away rights to part of the land that was still free and clear, and received a deed. He believes that his father never deeded the other part of the land to the bad brother, cause the bad brother was losing stuff in bankruptcy left and right during that time. The father has since died, and my husband wants to find out what happened to the land that the bad brother had surveyed up. Some of the land was deeded to us, and some had been deeded to someone else. Bute he is trying to figure out whether or not the bad brother was ever deeded the land officially, or if it should go into the father's estate and be divided up.

The tax office is going by a map provided at the time the bad brother had the land surveyed. Can they go by just a survey, or would they have required a deed as well?

HomeGuru

amchandl said:
My husbands brother, who is a real jerk, had the family farm surveyed up the way he wanted to. Some of the land (40 acres worth) had already been deeded by their father to someone else. My husband signed away rights to part of the land that was still free and clear, and received a deed. He believes that his father never deeded the other part of the land to the bad brother, cause the bad brother was losing stuff in bankruptcy left and right during that time. The father has since died, and my husband wants to find out what happened to the land that the bad brother had surveyed up. Some of the land was deeded to us, and some had been deeded to someone else. Bute he is trying to figure out whether or not the bad brother was ever deeded the land officially, or if it should go into the father's estate and be divided up.

The tax office is going by a map provided at the time the bad brother had the land surveyed. Can they go by just a survey, or would they have required a deed as well?

**A: this is a complicated matter that requires an attorney. Start off with a current title report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">