• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding New Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackcole9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I received a email from lawyer saying i should find someone else as he was not the right fit for me. I have paid all the legal fees to this lawyer and no bills are outstanding. At this time there is no court case, no legal process. I hired this lawyer to respond to letter I received from landlord's attorney. I was going to fire this lawyer anyway since he made mistakes, got irritated when I asked him questions about the bill charges and his legal assistant never answered my emails.

In his final letter to me, the lawyer gave me referrals to other law firms I should reach out to and mentioned that he can introduce me to them.

Ques 1. If I hire a new lawyer, would new lawyer ask me why it didn't work out with first lawyer? If yes, what should I say? I don't want second lawyer to view me negatively because it didn't work out with first lawyer. Need advice.

Ques 2. The current lawyer sent a couple of letters on my behalf to landlords lawyer. Would landlord's lawyer and landlord look at me negatively since i may have second lawyer?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I received a email from lawyer saying i should find someone else as he was not the right fit for me. I have paid all the legal fees to this lawyer and no bills are outstanding. At this time there is no court case, no legal process. I hired this lawyer to respond to letter I received from landlord's attorney. I was going to fire this lawyer anyway since he made mistakes, got irritated when I asked him questions about the bill charges and his legal assistant never answered my emails.

In his final letter to me, the lawyer gave me referrals to other law firms I should reach out to and mentioned that he can introduce me to them.

Ques 1. If I hire a new lawyer, would new lawyer ask me why it didn't work out with first lawyer? If yes, what should I say? I don't want second lawyer to view me negatively because it didn't work out with first lawyer. Need advice.
Your new attorney might ask why you felt the need to change attorneys but it really doesn't matter how you answer, if you answer at all - especially since you have no legal action pending. The new attorney should not think better or worse of you either way.

Ques 2. The current lawyer sent a couple of letters on my behalf to landlords lawyer. Would landlord's lawyer and landlord look at me negatively since i may have second lawyer?
There is no reason that I can think of that the landlord's attorney and landlord would look at you negatively if you change attorneys but, again, it really doesn't matter. Any "negativity" probably would come more from any legal action you are considering pursuing than from your choice of attorney.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">