• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding out if search warrant was issued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Property is missing from my property and I need to know if it was seized by the police, or if it was simply stolen. Is there any way to find out if a search warrant was issued for my address without hiring an attorney and/or casting suspicion upon myself? No notification was given to any of the residents of the property that a search was done, as they were asleep or not home at the time. The residence was not secure.

Just Blue

WarrantSeeker said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
Property is missing from my property and I need to know if it was seized by the police, or if it was simply stolen. Is there any way to find out if a search warrant was issued for my address without hiring an attorney and/or casting suspicion upon myself? No notification was given to any of the residents of the property that a search was done, as they were asleep or not home at the time. The residence was not secure.
Why would you think that your property was seized by the police?? :confused: What kind of property was taken?
If the police had a warrent you would have recieved a copy...by hand or if you were not home they would have posted it to the door.

No notification required

The police told me the same thing as well in a very accusatory manner when I asked, but I was told by a lawyer and read in a legal document that no notification is required (don't remember what, but something to do with the Patriot Act I believe). I don't want to disclose details publicly.

Last edited:

CdwJava

WarrantSeeker said:
The police told me the same thing as well in a very accusatory manner when I asked, but I was told by a lawyer and read in a legal document that no notification is required (don't remember what, but something to do with the Patriot Act I believe). I don't want to disclose details publicly.
Unless you are an associate of Osama Bin laden, the chances of a federal warrant being issued pursuant to anything in the Patriot Act are about as good as my chance of being elected President.

The Patriot Act does little to nothing for local law enforcement. And since you refuse to say what you are involved in, all I can add is that unless your concern is some very serious federal and national security matter, then it was not a secret warrant.

- Carl

mycarlb

What did they take, bomb making material or just your drug stash? How can anyone help you if you cannot be forth coming with the details?

State: Indiana
I don't want to put details up because why whould I cast suspicion upon myself? Some one can help me by explaining the procedure for a) finding out if their is a warrant for my arrest, which I know often go unserved for months or years, if ever b) finding out if a search warrant was issued for my premises and if property was seized. The details about why I thought I was being searched or what was taken is irrelevant to either of those two questions being answered. I have been told by a lawyer that a search warrant does not have to be presented to an individual in order to be carried out, so I need to know the procedure for finding out without having to hire an attorney.

CdwJava

WarrantSeeker said:
State: Indiana
I don't want to put details up because why whould I cast suspicion upon myself? Some one can help me by explaining the procedure for a) finding out if their is a warrant for my arrest, which I know often go unserved for months or years, if ever b) finding out if a search warrant was issued for my premises and if property was seized. The details about why I thought I was being searched or what was taken is irrelevant to either of those two questions being answered. I have been told by a lawyer that a search warrant does not have to be presented to an individual in order to be carried out, so I need to know the procedure for finding out without having to hire an attorney.
A warrant for your arrest would not authorize anyone to seize your stuff.

And if you want to know if there is an arrest warrant for you, try calling the court and askin gif they will tell you. if that doesn't work, try the local law enforcement agency and ask them. Finally, if you still haven't found the answer, try and surrender yourself to the local cops. if you have a warrant they will serve it and hook you up.

A search warrant and affidavit should be public record. And you should have been served a copy or one left at the residence. I am not sure about the specific procedures in your state, but in general a search warrant is public record though the details (affidavits and items found) may be sealed for a time. In my state we would have to leave a copy of the warrant and a list of the seized items at the premises. This might not be the case in your state.

But if you think some form of secret warrant was issued, then I would suggest you are either delusional or you are related to Al-Qaeda in some way.

- Carl

What is the general procedure for finding out if there was a search warrant? How do I access the public record? Does it matter what branch of police (state, city, federal, county, etc.) executed the search in what steps I should take to finding out? Can I just call and ask? Can I generally do so anonymously? I have membership on a site that is supposed to give me access to public records, but I cannot find the steps needed to find out the record of a warrant. To get a background check on myself, I can request one from the state, but I have to give a reason to the police, and none of the reasons that it offers match my reason (personal information) and lying about the reason is a Class A misdemeanor. Will a search and/or arrest warrant show up on a background check?

Last edited:

CdwJava

WarrantSeeker said:
What is the general procedure for finding out if there was a search warrant? How do I access the public record? Does it matter what branch of police (state, city, federal, county, etc.) executed the search in what steps I should take to finding out? Can I just call and ask?
First, you have to find out what the procedure for notification is required in your state. If your state requires some form of document or notification to be made then it is safe to assume that no warrant was executed.

You can call the court and ask what the procedure is and how you can find out if one was issued. Keep in mind that a federal warrant would come from a federal court.

Can I generally do so anonymously?
Doubtful.

I have membership on a site that is supposed to give me access to public records, but I cannot find the steps needed to find out the record of a warrant.
This information would be a part of a court file and not generally public information easily obtainable.

Will a search and/or arrest warrant show up on a background check?
Search warrant? Probably not. An arrest warrant? Most likely ... provided the warrant has been made public and the searcher has access to current court documents.

- Carl

chris86

Here's another approach...go attempt to enlist in the army...or any other branch of the military...if there's a warrant for your arrest, they'll deny you on those grounds. If there isn't, you're doing your country some good. If the police did enter your premises with a search warrant, you wouldn't be simply missing some items, your entire residence would be upside-down...that's usually a good indicator that the cops have paid a visit..they don't CAREFULLY search...

No help

I called the local court clerk and she told me to ask the prosecutor because he handles all warrants. I called the prosecutors office and ended talking with the prosecutor. He was very unhelpful and was not willing to tell me the procedure and kept stating repeatedly that if my house was searched a warrant would have been posted on the door. He also sounded like he was trying to get information out of me and was very rude and accusatory in his tone. I called the district court (federal jurisdiction), and the clerk told me she does not have access to the warrants. They are sealed and are not public record. Is that true? I am getting nowhere. I need to know if my property was seized, because if so I need to 1) get an attorney 2) know before I start applying to jobs 3) possibly file a motion to have property returned, as I need it. Even if there was no warrant and the I was burglarized in a very orchestrated and strange manner, this is a good education in the legal system.

CdwJava

If no one has a record of it, or they don't have to tell you over the phone or in person, then it is very likely that you never were the subject of a warrant and were instead robbed. Maybe you should make a police report of the theft or trespassing.

You will find out for sure if you are charged.

- Carl

I reported the missing item to the police immediately that night (3 weeks ago) and no charges and/or notification of a warrant were made to me. The police suspended the case and did not make any actions to try and find the item, however. They did not dust for prints or inspect the crime scene or anything but just made the report on record really. I have been trying to do my own police work and check pawn shops, but with no luck. If it was a federal warrant, do they have to abide by state law (which does state written notification has to be presented at the scene)?

seized dog

no need to worry

I am also a Indiana resident. My home was searched by the police with out notification. They removed items including my dog. after 5 days i recieved a phone call from the county drug task force. (if they want to get ahold of you they will it is amasing the amount of information they have on you including the names and numbers of your neihbors.) They than pressured me to cooperate and become an informant. Do not say anything to them when they call, simply hang up and get an attorney. in my case it turned out that they never had a warrent to search never attempted to get a warrent. and everything was thrown out of court. if it was just a robbery than consider yourself lucky. but remember do not say or speak to anyone but your attorney about this if there was anything illeagl involved. remember its not the bust that is inportant its what comes next that can skrew you in the end. dont call the cops call an attorney and let them do the work its much safer

grasmicc

WarrantSeeker said:
What is the general procedure for finding out if there was a search warrant? How do I access the public record? Does it matter what branch of police (state, city, federal, county, etc.) executed the search in what steps I should take to finding out? Can I just call and ask? Can I generally do so anonymously? I have membership on a site that is supposed to give me access to public records, but I cannot find the steps needed to find out the record of a warrant. To get a background check on myself, I can request one from the state, but I have to give a reason to the police, and none of the reasons that it offers match my reason (personal information) and lying about the reason is a Class A misdemeanor. Will a search and/or arrest warrant show up on a background check?
Look - everyone has already told you that you will receive notice of a search warrant at the time it is executed, or shortly thereafter (i.e., within 24 hours).

If you want to know if you have an arrest warrant, there is a phone number you can call in most jurisdictions where they will do warrant checks for you. Showing up in person at a police station will also work.

The reason the DA or whoever is annoyed when you call is because you sound like you are nuts and are wasting their time. I'd be annoyed too.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">