• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding Safety Deposit box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

linda K

What is the name of your state? North Dakota. My father passed away in Dec. in WA. state. He left a will and I am the executor of the will. My half brother said he thinks my father had a safety deposit box somewhere. I don't remember my father ever mentioning a safety deposit box to me. Anyway, is there a way to find out for sure if one exsits and where it might be. Since I am executor of my father's will could I legally claim it for the estate?

Dandy Don

You will have to get a list of the name and phone numbers of all banks in the city where your father died, and contact each bank individually (by mail or by phone) to inquire if he has a safety deposit box with them. You should supply his name and SSN and date of birth for them to check against their records.

Yes, as executor you would have the right to claim the contents, but you would first have to file your executor papers at the probate court/county courthouse. Soon after filing you will receive "letters testamentary" giving you the official legal authority to claim any and all assets (get about 10 certified copies made for you to present to other companies if needed), and that is what you will need to present to the bank.

DANDY DON

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">