• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fire accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcoopers

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My two sons were at their friends house when their friend poured gas onto a fire.The gas can exploded burning all three boys.The boys were left unsupervised and were alone when the accident happened. The other boy's mother knew they had the gas can when she left to go grocery shopping 20 miles away.Her homeowners insurance says they will only pay 500 towards my two sons hospital bills.Should I sue for all medical costs?
Also she put out jars to collect money for herself and son but I recently found one that had my sons names on it too.I never gave anyone permission to place my sons name on a jar for donations and I never recieved any money from the jar.Doesn't that constitute fraud.

HomeGuru

pcoopers said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas
My two sons were at their friends house when their friend poured gas onto a fire.The gas can exploded burning all three boys.The boys were left unsupervised and were alone when the accident happened. The other boy's mother knew they had the gas can when she left to go grocery shopping 20 miles away.Her homeowners insurance says they will only pay 500 towards my two sons hospital bills.Should I sue for all medical costs?
Also she put out jars to collect money for herself and son but I recently found one that had my sons names on it too.I never gave anyone permission to place my sons name on a jar for donations and I never recieved any money from the jar.Doesn't that constitute fraud.
**A: what are the ages of the boys and what were they during at a fire with no adult present.

P

pcoopers

their ages are 14,14,& 12. I just found out that the other boys mother knew about the gas can & what they intended to do with it because she tried to get them to take a smaller can with oil & gas mixed for a chainsaw & her son told her no he was taking the other bigger gas can.
I would also like to know why they were left alone with a fire & a gas can...

P

pcoopers

Hello HomeGuru.

I'm the other half of the pcoopers couple, lol. I didn't know that the wife had posted here.

Our two sons, 14 and 12, had asked for and recieved permission to spend the night at the other 14 year old's house. We had no idea that anyone planned to go camping, or that there was to be a fire. Nor were we told that there would be no adult supervision.

It has been suggested by others that the boys were negligent for having gasoline at a fire. My position is, the idea had been tacitly approved by the responsible adult. These juveniles are well on the road to adulthood, but they have a ways to go. These juveniles still rely on adult advice. In this instance, the apparent advice recieved was that it was alright to use gasoline to light a fire.

Worse, this adult then abandoned these boys to deal with the disastrous consequences of that bad advice. This woman having approved of the boys plans, drove 20 miles across a state line into Texas to go shopping.

The stupidity of these actions is compounded by the fact that there were at least two cans of diesel fuel in the same garage from which the boys took the gasoline. If they had to have something to light a fire with, diesel fuel won't explode, so that should have been the first choice.

The wife and I have all but decided to sue for negligence, and to recover medical costs.

The likelihood of this same accident happening on our property is somewhere between nil and negligible, as we won't allow gasoline to be misused in this manner. Further, the boys would never have been left alone with a fire. If, somehow, the boys had set themselves afire on our property, help would have arrived within a minute, not half an hour or more after the fact.

While I was inclined to dismiss the incident as an accident and nothing more, the other boy's mother has displayed atrocious conduct since the accident. Her money grubbing and callousness toward other people has infuriated both of us to the point we now want to see her punished for her neglect.

Hope that helps some. The other half will probably be back to check on this later... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">