• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fire claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindy petrovich

What is the name of your state? north carolina

my house was 75% destroyed in a fire three years ago. I have been struggling with the insurance company for three years and this claim is almost over. I have a few final issues - this is one of them: I took nine days off work without pay to help assess the damages, secure the propery, recover valuables, list personal property, find a place to stay, and clothing for me and my family. (it took me a whole lot longer than that.) The insurance company says they do not have to pay for my missed work time, even though i have a letter from th HR dept stating how much money my check was docked, starting the day after the fire. is this so?

HomeGuru

cindy petrovich said:
What is the name of your state? north carolina

my house was 75% destroyed in a fire three years ago. I have been struggling with the insurance company for three years and this claim is almost over. I have a few final issues - this is one of them: I took nine days off work without pay to help assess the damages, secure the propery, recover valuables, list personal property, find a place to stay, and clothing for me and my family. (it took me a whole lot longer than that.) The insurance company says they do not have to pay for my missed work time, even though i have a letter from th HR dept stating how much money my check was docked, starting the day after the fire. is this so?

**A: what does your insurance policy state with respect to this issue?

Last edited:
C

cindy petrovich

I did not see anything in the policy regarding loss of income due to missed work. Where would it be?

HomeGuru

cindy petrovich said:
I did not see anything in the policy regarding loss of income due to missed work.

**A: that is my point. There are exclusions in your insurance policy that covers consequential damages etc. The insurance company is taking the position that your loss of income is not a damage or expense covered under the policy. While I understand your need to take off from work to do what you needed to do at the time, unless you can find in your policy that such loss of income by an insured homeowner is covered, you will have no claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">