• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire in Kitchen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Va
I am inquiring about something that does not fall exactly under any of the categories.
In January I was cooking with grease and a fire started in my boyfriend's condo(we had lived together for 4 years). The fire was contained to the kitchen.
His parents own the condo but we were both living there and paying rent. Since the fire I had completed alot of repairs myself.
They decided to make some improvements in the kitchen expecting insurance to cover it. After submitting paper work they realized that their deductable started at $10,000. Upon the boyfriend and I breaking up I received a bill for that amount. I do want to send some money in good faith but I do not feel that I am obligated because they did not read the fine print in their insurance policy. Can they sue me and could I be liable?
I also had asked for a lease early on so I could submit for renters insurance but they assured me that their homeowner covered anything and everything.
Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks so much.


Senior Member
How did that fire start? Did you walk away from or leave a skillet of greae on the stove? In other words HOW did the fire start?

Your renter's insurance would NOT have covered the structure but just you personal belongings.


Junior Member
Thanks for responding. The oven was old and did not regulate heat correctly so the grease became too hot. At no time did I leave. I was able to put it out before it became really bad. I burned my feet in the process but was able to save most of the kitchen.
Upon finding out that my boyfriend and I had separated I received a bill for the $10K deductable from his parents.
Could they sue me for that amount?
Thanks so much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential