• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire Sprinkler inspections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

And that is alot why I raise this question. And in Seattle it's no surprise they think they can just violate peoples right to privacy with how little liberals here think about the constitution. To many here think it's an antiquated document without modern protections that is unless that protection applies to them. It's insane!
You should contact the ACLU with your concerns. No! Wait! They are just liberal hippy-dippy stompers of the constitution...right??

I question the intelligence of your stance. You don't want to be inspected and you choose to not be insured. Hopefully you don't start a fire that harms your neighbors persons or property, thus leaving them up the creek.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Another option may be to call a private fire sprinkler company to inspect and certify your unit's sprinklers. Then you can submit the report and keep the government out of your home.

quincy

It would be different if it were only your own possessions and your own life that could be impacted by a failure of adequate safety equipment in your home. But a failure of your fire safety equipment can have disastrous consequences for others in a multifamily building.

I can agree that there are some privacy issues raised by Seattle’s ordinances. But I also think your rights do not trump the rights of others.

And I actually think you probably agreed to inspections when you purchased your condo in a multi-unit building.

Dave2

I can agree that there are some privacy issues raised by Seattle’s ordinances. But I also think your rights do not trump the rights of others.
Yeah but the question sort of remains when can other peoples rights trump your rights. We see this alot in the 2A debate where the anti-gun crowd think they can deprive gun owners their right to keep and bear arms.

So the question is where does the balance lay?

Last edited:

quincy

Yeah but the question sort of remains when can other peoples rights trump your rights. We see this alot in the 2A debate where the anti-gun crowd think they can deprive gun owners there right to keep and bear arms.

That is a good question. It has no easy answer.

Just Blue

Yeah but the question sort of remains when can other peoples rights trump your rights. We see this alot in the 2A debate where the anti-gun crowd think they can deprive gun owners there right to keep and bear arms.

IMO..Your right to privacy falls to your neighbor's right to safety.

Dave2

Have you reviewed your condo documents yet? It could make all other discussion unnecessary if you consented to inspections when you purchased your condo.
like I mentioned above the documents we signed as far as I can tell do not have the document in them that the management referenced during last years dryer vent cleaning as that also broke down to an argument to which finally the board president at the time stepped in and told the management they can't force it on owners and that sort of ended that. But from what I can sort of tell the document referenced did not seem to be in any of the documents we signed off on from bylaws and such we we bought back in 2014 plus I seem to remember also that some of these fire inspections might be new seem to remember seeing a 2015 date in one of the things I read this morning.

quincy

like I mentioned above the documents we signed as far as I can tell do not have the document in them that the management referenced during last years dryer vent cleaning as that also broke down to an argument to which finally the board president at the time stepped in and told the management they can't force it on owners and that sort of ended that. But from what I can sort of tell the document referenced did not seem to be in any of the documents we signed off on from bylaws and such we we bought back in 2014 plus I seem to remember also that some of these fire inspections might be new seem to remember seeing a 2015 date in one of the things I read this morning.
You apparently have more research to do on your own situation.

If you object to safety inspections, on privacy grounds or on principle, you could always contact the Institute for Justice to discuss your options. And you can publicly protest the ordinance in various ways (circulating petitions, writing letters to the editor, speaking out at meetings).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to point something out...management-conducted dryer vent inspections have nothing to do with any constitutional rights.

Dave2

Just to point something out...management-conducted dryer vent inspections have nothing to do with any constitutional rights.
it is if they have to enter your privately own apartment unit. As I pointed out in the post above these sort of inspections can in fact be done externally from the outside as that is how they did it this year. Some procedure where they snake in from the exterior exit of the vent and snake in all the way to the back of the dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">