• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fire that still burns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

res0paqu

i live in hawaii and a few months ago myself,my finance and her son rented a ground level apartment for one month, because my finance just had back surgry for a work related injury. we were using the citronilla tiki torches that were the long term renters.we were given permission to used the torches.we used the two torches 18 nights approx. out of 21. before the fire. One of the torches fell over and burn a small area of 6x6. we fought the fire,and the fire was out before fire dept arrived.we in haled alot of the toxic smoke.we had to go to the hospital.
1.are we responible for the damages?it was an act of god.
the owner's insurance cover the accident. the fire was ruled accidential. 2. is the home onwer's insurance responible for the medical bills? 3.is the insurance comany legally aloud to charge us for the damages?

Last edited:

D

Donna32669

Fire Still Burns

First, I think that the fire , though accidental, is your fault. It sounds as if you left the torch unattended; an Act of God may have caused it to blow over but, would that have occured if you had made sure they were stable? The fact that the damages were paid is not really sigificant, fire caused the damage...the policy pays (outside of arson by an insured, they usually will without much question). They insurance company (again in my humble opinion) is not liable to you for your medical bills because THEIR insured did not cause the loss, you did. So, I don't think you have an opportunity for "big bucks",or to get in to any more than thestandard Medical Pay (usually about $5000), but that may be available to you and be of some help. Contact the building owner, it's his insurer or the tenant's insurer, if they carried "Renters Insurance" it is one of them or both that will respond to your claim, if any. I think I have your situation correct (you were renting from a renter?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">