• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firearms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TexaS

I may be in the wrong forum, if so, please tell me where I should be instead.

I am wondering if there is any way for a civilian to conduct a search to determine if a firearm is stolen? Is calling the police station the only way to find out?

Thank you for any help.

Just Blue

I am wondering if there is any way for a civilian to conduct a search to determine if a firearm is stolen? Is calling the police station the only way to find out?

Thank you for any help.
Conduct a search of what??

Thank you for any help.
police station may be the only way. I have never been able to verify serial numbers by myself online, or at the county clerks office. The cops will definately know, but they will also want to know why you want to know.

cyjeff

you are so dumb, probably her house, car or person. duh.

Um, no. err, duh.

I am guessing that the OP is asking if there is a way to run the gun's serial number to see if the gun is stolen.

I don't know of any organization outside law enforcement that would be able to tell you that.

Just Blue

Um, no. err, duh.

I am guessing that the OP is asking if there is a way to run the gun's serial number to see if the gun is stolen.

I don't know of any organization outside law enforcement that would be able to tell you that.
That is what I figured..but wanted OP to clarify to be sure.

I am so sorry to have caused such confusion! I was just asking if there was any way to run the serial number of a gun to determine if it is "hot" or not without having to call the local police department. I realize they are busy with matters of a more serious nature.

CavemanLawyer

There is no general database of firearm serial numbers except for some antiques. The only way to determine if a gun has been reported stolen is to run a check through the NCIC system which can only be done by law enforcement. The search takes literally 5 seconds and all that is needed is the serial number. Your local police agency shouldn't have a problem running the check if you've got any reason to believe it is stolen. Theft or possession of a stolen firearm is a felony so its not exactly a minor issue to be researching.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">