• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for having Multiple Sclerosis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bugsbuni

My husband worked for a prominent City (in Texas) in our area for 10 years. Last year he was diagnosed as having Multiple Sclerosis. As a result of the MS, his doctor restricted him from working in extreme heat and humidity. Upon receiving that restriction, the Human Resource director forced him to go on FMLA, and forced him to apply for disability benefits. The disability insurance company rejected the application stating that he was still able to work, just not in the heat. The HR director refused to make reasonable accomidations and refused to place him in another position. My husband went to the EEOC where he was awarded a "Right to Sue" letter. Upon informing the HR director that he had been awarded this letter, she still refused to place him back to work. We involved the City Mayor, who directed that my husband be placed back to work, as he was an excellant employee, having won numerous awards, including the highest award the City gives, and he had an excellant, unblemished record. The HR director STILL refused to put him back to work and even went as far as to make inflamatory remarks about the Mayor. Now my husband's employment with the City has been terminated. This seems to us to be a clear case of discrimination based upon a disability. Is he protected under the ADA? We have talked to a couple of lawyers and they all want $30,000 or more just to take the case. What options do we have? We really need help! This woman has single-handedly destroyed our financial stability and caused much duress in our family. Please advise. :(

[This message has been edited by bugsbuni (edited April 23, 2000).]

J

JBK

There should be attorneys in Texas who will take this case on a contingency basis where you only have to pay costs. Please act quickly, because you only have 90 days to file suit after the EEOC gives you a right to sue letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">