• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for not sigining a paper?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Myztictrunkz

In my job they always want you to sign stuff, lets say in a most recent case they want you to sign a paper telling that you have been giving a verbal warning when what the warning is about has nothin to do with you. They are always trying to write somebody up for being one minute late also. Can i refuse to sign any papers given to me without fear of getting fired. I would like to know. I already told the manager I didnt feel comfortable signing the paper and we had an argument and I signed it, even though I didnt want to sign it an now I'm regreting it. That is how corporate businesses watch their backs. Can't I protect myself also. I was told once that I dint have to sign any paper that was given to me is that true? :eek: Oh yea heh heh By the way I am located in Long Island, New York. Work is in Greenvale :)

Beth3

Signing a disciplinary action only means that you acknowledge it and the issue has been discussed with you. It means neither that you agree or disagree with the contents.

In my opinion, terminating someone for refusing to sign is excessive but if the employer insists and you refuse, the company can conclude you are being insubordinate and discharge you. Inasmuch as signing the warning doesn't make it any more or less valid, you may as well sign it if not doing so means losing your job.

Whoever told you you don't have to sign anything is correct. You can refuse to sign any document. Having the right to refuse doesn't protect you from the consequences of doing so however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">