• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired on Maternity Leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustinBell

Hello, I live in Pennsylvania. I was recently fired from my job while on "okayed" maternity leave because my doctor failed to fax in all the requested paper work after i notified him. I was not given any warning that i would be fired nor was i prompted to begin working again as my leave of absense was no longer okay, because if so i Would have to save my job. So my question here is there grounds for a lawsuit? another question, also in relation to my job. is i should have recieved my vacation hours as of June 6th and wasnt fired until after which. wouldnt that mean they owed me those hours?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and how long have you worked for them and how many hours did you work over the 12-month period prior to your taking leave?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to summarize here. To address the firing we need to know:

1.) How long did you work for this employer?
2.) In the 12 months immediately preceding your leave, did you work a minimum of 1,250 hours?
3.) Does this employer have a minimum of 50 employees within 75 miles of your location?
4.) How long had you been on leave before you were fired?
5.) How long had it been since you gave the doctor the forms?

To address the vacation time, we need to know what your company's policy is on paying out vacation at termination. Pennsylvania law does NOT require the unconditional pay out of vacation time at termination, but does require that employers follow their policy, whatever that policy may be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">