• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FIRED TODAY - not paid commission for the last 4 m. in department store in CALIFORNIA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

California

Today I was fired because my manager discovered that I am looking for another job. I worked for 4 months for a department store that is a part of a large (public company) retail chain in CA as a full-time employee. At the beginning of my employment I was told that I will have, in addition to my base salary, a commission-incentive plan of about 1-1.5% of my gross sales, and that this amount will be compounded every 3-4 months. However, today, when I was fired, my manager told me that I will not receive my commission portion because I am fired before this commission is going to be distributed to employees of my store, which is going to happened next week.

IS THIS OK? IF NOT, WHAT I SHOULD DO?

BTW, I calculated that my commission will be around $2,000.

THANKS!

M

msattorney

What does your employee manual say about the payment of this commission. Does it say that you must still be employed on the date of distribution? Check the manual. As to being fired for looking for another job, that is probably illegal. And if you were fired just so that your employer would not have to pay the commision, that is probably illegal, too. If after checking your manual, you think you are entitled to the commisions, I would suggest finding an attorney who at the very least would write a lawyer letter for you to demand the payment.

C

California

Thank you for your answer.

I already looked the Employee Handbook and it does not say anything at all about commission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">