• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fireman expense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

You're going to have to explain a bit more what you are talking about. If you are employed as a fireman, no you can no longer deduct miscellaneous work expenses. If you are a volunteer, you may be able to consider certain expenses for which you obtain no personal benefit a contribution.

LUPEZ

yes, employed, w-2
do you know of any article directly related to first responder(firemen) that I could reference.
not just "employee" in general.
thank you

FlyingRon

You won't find such an article that applies to TAX YEAR 2018 and later.
You lost the ability to deduct work expenses like that in exchange for a higher standard deduction and tax cuts for the top 1%.
There wasn't anything specific for firefighters in previous years, just that as with any other trade, you could deduct ordinary and necessary expenses (such as work clothes, and other reimbursed expenses). That's is GONE now.
Sorry.

LdiJ

You won't find such an article that applies to TAX YEAR 2018 and later.
You lost the ability to deduct work expenses like that in exchange for a higher standard deduction and tax cuts for the top 1%.
There wasn't anything specific for firefighters in previous years, just that as with any other trade, you could deduct ordinary and necessary expenses (such as work clothes, and other reimbursed expenses). That's is GONE now.
Sorry.
I think you meant to say unreimbursed.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
yes, employed, w-2
do you know of any article directly related to first responder(firemen) that I could reference.
not just "employee" in general.
None that I am aware of. Federal tax law does not treat fire fighters any different than any other employee in this regard.

FlyingRon

About the only thing that might play in your favor as a fireman is you might get some student loan relief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">