• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kathyjk

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My Bankruptcy attorney said that I could not fire him after the bankruptcy was discharged. He said that only the Bankruptcy Court could release him and that I would have to keep paying him for anything he did until that time.He continued to bill me for additional services even though I sent a letter to the court and they sent all future paperwork to me.Is this true? Do I have to pay him for anything he did after I asked him to stop???

Ladynred

Call your state bar asssociation and ask, but this sounds like hogwash to me. Of COURSE you can fire him !! Did you notify him, in writing, that his services were no longer required ?? I've seen posts from many people who fired their lawyers even BEFORE they got their discharge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">