• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing employee during probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silvia Gross

What is the name of your state?California

Can I fire an employee for excessive absences before the 90 days probation period?

FlyingRon

An employer can fire an employee just because he doesn't like what color socks he's wearing.

The only prohibitions is firing someone for some protected reason (race, creed, age, etc...).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Can I fire an employee for excessive absences before the 90 days probation period?
Yes, unless the employee has a contract or CBA that says otherwise.

In fact, I would encourage doing so. An employee who is excessively absent during their probation is not going to improve once it's over.

An employer can fire an employee just because he doesn't like what color socks he's wearing.

The only prohibitions is firing someone for some protected reason (race, creed, age, etc...).
Unless the socks have the LGBT colours on them. It is California after all ;)

Tuzkiraly

Wrong. You can only be fired for violating company policy.

If you were "Laid Off" for fashion sense
When there is no dress code defined in the emplpyee handbook and no company policy in regards to dress code.

Would be a lay off. Which is unemployment eligible.

If they had a dress code and repeatedly wore white socks on months when they require black.
Could then be fired for violating company policy after 2 written warnings. And yes
The employer has to give you chances to meet their needs if they dont want to pay unenployment

As for being unlawful. Lay-Offs are legal. But they're not terminations.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

When there is no dress code defined in the emplpyee handbook and no company policy in regards to dress code.

If they had a dress code and repeatedly wore white socks on months when they require black.
Could then be fired for violating company policy after 2 written warnings. And yes
The employer has to give you chances to meet their needs if they dont want to pay unenployment

Please post a link to the law that says you can only be fired for violating company policy. I'll wait. But I won't hold my breath.

As for a layoff not being a termination, that's just silly.

(HINT: Termination is not a synonym for fired)

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Tuzkiraly, at first I thought you were joking, but then I saw the thread you started. You are SO far off base. Please refrain from giving employment law advice until you have an understanding of what the law actually says. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">