• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing Law in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

I work in a popular corporate run restaurant in Pennsylvania. According to one manager, there is an PA law they can fire me for any reason. Is this true, does this law exist?

But according to my companies employee dispute rules, I am able to file a complaint against a manager without fear of retaliation. Now thats a contradiction, because there is no such thing as no fear of retaliation in the work world. Including this alledged PA law that they can fire me for any reason.

Can you someone clarify, what is legal between them and me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In 49 out of 50 states, including PA, you can be fired for any reason or no reason as long as the reason does not violate the law.

You cannot be fired BECAUSE of your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40. You also cannot be fired for a reason that violates public policy. Complaining of ILLEGAL activity to the appropriate outside agency would violate public policy. Complaining internally that your boss is a jerk, would not.

Company policy and the law are not necessarily the same thing.

LEGALLY, you can be fired for complaining about a manager (unless your complaint is to a regulatory agency and involves the manager's ILLEGAL (not unethical, not immoral, ILLEGAL) behavior. But if the company wants to put into place a non-retaliation policy, that's their right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">