• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First DUI in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShawnaS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan, Ottawa County

October 4th I was pulled over for speeding and breathalyzed and road tested for drunk driving. I blew a .10 and .12 on the road, .12 and .14 at the station.

The sheriff that arrested me took me to the county jail, on the way there I asked what I was looking at as far as charges, he said that due to the fact that I cooperated, didnt blow that high, and have nothing, not even a parking ticket, I should be able to get the charge dropped to reckless driving.

I was taken to the jail, where I never got my phone call, released 8 hours later and told to appear at court 2 weeks later. I showed up, plead not-guilty and was given my court appointed attorney.

The prosecuting attorney offered to drop the charge from DUI to OWI, my lawyer said I should take the plea. I asked her about what the sheriff had told me and she said "no way, would never happen".

I have my next hearing on the 4th of Dec to decide if I would accept the plea or not. I have tried calling my lawyer to try to discuss this further considering I have yet to even talk to herr other than the one, quick, nothing out of my mouth time, but she wont return my calls. I am willing to hire another attorney but dont know how to go about finding one who actually seems to care...

Please dont think that I am just trying to get out of this. Im not. Its just that I really did think I was OK to drive, like I said I have a clean record and I am a very respectable law abiding person. Spending that one night in jail...... being the girl that I am... I learned my lesson and never want to go back again... that jail was absurd and hell, I dont even know how they can be permitted to do some of the things that are done.. but regardless...

What are my options? What should I be doing? What am I facing here?

Thank you so much.

If you want it dropped to wreckless, it would be wise to start talking to lawyers that are known for getting people off of DWI's.

My guess is that the DA knew she didn't have any reason to offer a better deal. The PD probably wasn't going to ask for a jury trial.

Don't EVER drink even a little and drive again. The laws will now be stacked against you with a DWI.

Is there any real difference between a DWI and an OWI? Your BAC was low.

FlyingRon

Arresting officers are lousy people to take legal advice from.
If the prosecutor is unwilling to entertain a reduction, then it's not going to happen.
.12-.14 is not "low".

Jane: I always drive wrecklessly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">