• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first DWI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skpatt

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC

My boyfriend was charged with a DWI and this is the only thing on his record. he was not in the car when he talked to the cop, he walked up to him in a parking lot and gave himself up. his brother had just jumped from the vehicle and was hit by a car. my boyfriend had a blood test done on him at the hospital but I don't see on the test what the level was. should he request that and from who, the hospital? should he just go to legal aid and try to get this taken care of, we don't really have the money for a lawyer. his license wasn't taken at the scene so can he still drive until his court date?? thanks, really don't have much of an idea of where to go on this one.

Son of Slam

skpatt said:
My boyfriend was charged with a DWI ...we don't really have the money for a lawyer...
To me, the one thing that stands out as the stupidest thing in this post is the word we.

skpatt

what??

well it would be him paying for it but I'm there for him through this so that's why there is a "we".
is there anyone else who actually has some "real" advice on this matter??

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

The story is just a little confusing. "He was not in the car when he talked to the cop but gave himself up, then his brother jumped from the car and was hit". Sorry, I just don't get it. Then he had blood drawn at the hospital? I think you might get more responses if you can explain a little better.

skpatt

more detail

sure, my boyfriend was driving and while he was making a left turn away from a stop sign his brother jumped from the vehicle and was hit by a car and died. there was a convenient store at the stop sign and he drove over there and there happened to be a cop there at the time. he got out of the vehicle and walked up to him and explained that it was him who was driving at the accident across the street. they took him to the hospital where his brother went and the blood test was done there. so far he's heard that getting legal aid is a waste of time.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I'm not big on hiring a lawyer for a DUI case, but this is one in which I would do so, if I were your boyfriend. It's confusing, but while your boyfriend may be proven impaired, he may not have caused the death in any way. Still, this could be the direction the prosecution takes. A lawyer can get all the test results and other discovery that you might not be able to get yourself. This is one for a good lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">