• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first name change - need ncp approval?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas

Don't know if this is the right forum, but could find anything else...

Son is 13, he is a James ______ III, his dad of course is James ______Jr.

He has been called Jacob since birth *same meaning as James* as his dad, grandfather and even aunt (Jamie) were all taking James of some sort...

Dad isn't really around, never has been, he sees him once or twice a year, dad doens't pay support, nor do I ever have anything more than a cell number for him. Son wants to change his name legally to Jacob.

Do I need to get consent from NCP, especially since he is a namesake? I had told my son I would talk to someone about this when he turned 13, he has been wanting it a long time. I just forgot for the last year or so until he brought it up again.

Oh - I have full custody due to history of spousal abuse, so he doesn't have decision making rights as far as medical, schooling etc

Last edited:

brisgirl825

If dad doesn't agree, you can take it to a judge. There is no guarantee that you will win though. I would think that your son's wishes would carry some weight but a judge does not have to go by your son's wishes.

GL.

Thanks - I was hoping different. Not worth it right now, if son wants it still at 18 he can do it on his own. I don't think he would want to go to court over it and if his dad didn't agree, he would be horrified he even asked about it. I think I will ask him to keep the idea to himself until he feels it is the right time to address it with his father....

brisgirl825

bonkers101 said:
Thanks - I was hoping different. Not worth it right now, if son wants it still at 18 he can do it on his own. I don't think he would want to go to court over it and if his dad didn't agree, he would be horrified he even asked about it. I think I will ask him to keep the idea to himself until he feels it is the right time to address it with his father....
I think that's a very good idea. :)

Keep us updated on how things go on your CS issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">