• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tasha11

I was charged with trafficking, possession, intent and distribution of 4 oz of powder cocaine in the state of West Virginia. This is my first ever offense. My co-defendant has since then admitted to ownership of the said charges. Federal prosecutors have dropped charges pending upon my cooperation and testimony against co-defendant. However State prosecutors have not, and case is still pending now after almost a year, with no indictments. How much longer can this go on with no idictments or ect.. and how much time if any should I expect?

Just Blue

I was charged with trafficking, possession, intent and distribution of 4 oz of powder cocaine in the state of West Virginia. This is my first ever offense. My co-defendant has since then admitted to ownership of the said charges. Federal prosecutors have dropped charges pending upon my cooperation and testimony against co-defendant. However State prosecutors have not, and case is still pending now after almost a year, with no indictments. How much longer can this go on with no idictments or ect.. and how much time if any should I expect?
1. You should not be posting on the internet about your criminal activities.
2. You should ONLY discuss this with your attorney. Not your BF/GF, mother,father, bff, sibling(s)...and NOT stranger on the internet.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
How much longer can this go on with no idictments or ect.. and how much time if any should I expect?
West Viriginia is a state that requires most crimes to be prosecuted by indictment. The state may secure that indictment from the grand jury any time during the period of the statute of limitations for the offense. Where both the feds and the state are involved in the same criminal incident, often the federal government and state will coordinate on prosecution, with one or other going first. Here it appears the feds are proceeding first. The state then waits to see how the federal prosecution goes before deciding whether it too will prosecute. In the end your lawyer is in the best position to tell you what the state is likely to do, but even then what your lawyer will offer is no guarantee as only the state ultimately knows what its plans are for prosecution.

quincy

I hope both you and your co-defendant are represented by different attorneys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">