• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Sell Doctrine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allconss16

What is the name of your state? Texas

Does the first sell doctrine protect the purchase of a military branch logo patch, adding to a piece of apparel, and then turning around and selling that piece of apparel?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Texas

Does the first sell doctrine protect the purchase of a military branch logo patch, adding to a piece of apparel, and then turning around and selling that piece of apparel?
No.

What the First Sale Doctrine allows is for someone to legally acquire rights-protected material and resell it as is (or give it away or throw it away). It does not allow for someone to modify or alter the rights-protected material for sale to another.

allconss16

No.

What the First Sale Doctrine allows is for someone to legally acquire rights-protected material and resell it as is (or give it away or throw it away). It does not allow for someone to modify or alter the rights-protected material for sale to another.
Thank you for the information. So if I wanted to use a patch in this capacity I would need the rights to use it directly from the source?

quincy

Haha. I'm actually looking at that page now. Thought I would be lazy and see about going the easy way out first.
There is a lot of good information available on the internet. It just sometimes takes awhile to locate it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">