• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First step after finding Black Mold in apartment for 2nd time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alleneloop

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Just found black mold for the second time in my apartment. Moved in May 2017 and last found mold back in August 2017.

The parent problem is a constant leaking from the AC system in this high rise building. I hear drips all the time.

The most important thing to me is I just want them to fix the leak and clean up the mold. I actually love the building, location, etc.
So my question is how whats the best way to approach this situation for the 2nd time?

PS- Last time (Aug 2017) I:
1) Filled out maintenance report (no response for a week)
2) Emailed property manager (no response for 2 weeks)
3) Walked in office, this is when she told me to email her again and don't be hesitant to really let her have it because she was going to show the owner and the madder I was the more serious they would take it...
4) Emailed her but kept it factual and stern, not angry, they then re-painted and knocked off $200 in rent

justalayman

alleneloop

I'm sure its drips that I'm hearing, though 90% of the time it is coming from the 'drain corner'. I don't know if this is the most common type of drain but these drains are actually inside and don't empty until outside until the 1st floor. We have one of the AC units which is inside and sits on the floor too like you see in a lot of hotels. Which is also the corner with the mold. Floor and ceiling.

I'm on the 2nd floor of a 24 story building so im on the wrong end of gravity here but no im not 100% sure the drain is leaking in my specific unit that's just my guess. There was leaks from my AC and my upstairs neighbors AC last year so it could be the walls were never treated from the previous flooding issues. The mold I found both summers now comes from corner with the AC and drain.

Last summer they had leaks running into buckets everyday on the main floor because the water is either over-or-wrongfully flowing somehow. I talked to one of the hired contractors last year while he was working and he confirmed it was condensation water from the AC system causing those leaks.

Thank you very much very the help and links! Just trying not to get hustled by people who do this for a living.

justalayman

Given your explanation I tend to agree with you it is ac condensate not draining properly, but that’s just my guess. Another common problem is a blocked condensate drain. If the drain becomes blocked the water backs up into the condensate catch pan and can eventually overflow causing water to be where you don’t want it. That is usually a simple fix for an hvac tech or even a handyman.

Othert than that, I can’t offer anything better than what was provided in the first link I provided.

alleneloop

My main reason for coming here was just to get an idea of the best way to approach the situation with the property manager to make sure they do more than a paint job this time around?
Is a certified letter necessary?
Threat to get code enforcement involved?
Stick to what I did last time but demand something be done or hold rent?

And also how concerned should I be with black mold being in my walls for a year?

justalayman

Certified letter isn’t required. It would prove you sent a letter but if you keep copies dated for when sent, I doubt you would have an argument if this gets into court.

I try to avoid threatening as it tends to make the other party defensive. It is an option available to you if needed but I would go as far as I felt I could before involving them. Remember: you will have to continue to deal with the landlord even after the mold issue is dealt with.

I dont see any basis for withholding rent. If the state does not consider mold a habitability issue, you don’t have the right to withhold rent

HRZ

Sometimes it takes less time to clear a blocked condensate line than it does to write a letter ... I don't know your line layout ...they make small diameter long wire handle brushes for some such tasks, small diameter water or air hose, sometimes just some stiff plastic line such as used on string grass trimmers ...some of my small air compressors and tire pumps have cone shaped tips useful for blowing out lines

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">