• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Ticket (23109c)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

He specifically chose traffic court instead of criminal on the ticket (although I believe it’s up to the DA at the end of the day) am I allowed to tell you which county it was ? As in are their website rules saying I can’t do so. Sorry I’m new here
Sure. You can say what county.

Was the "Misdemeanor" box at the top of the citation checked? Even so, it will be extremely unlikely to be pursued in Criminal Court.

Each county has a different process by which they file misdemeanors. Most traffic offenses are filed as infractions directly with the court unless the local DA has requested they be filed through their office. Even when certain potential misdemeanors (such as unlicensed driving, exhibition of speed, and others ) are filed through the DA's office, most are still pursued as infractions unless there are sufficient priors.

Hybrid707

Sure. You can say what county.

Was the "Misdemeanor" box at the top of the citation checked? Even so, it will be extremely unlikely to be pursued in Criminal Court.

Each county has a different process by which they file misdemeanors. Most traffic offenses are filed as infractions directly with the court unless the local DA has requested they be filed through their office. Even when certain potential misdemeanors (such as unlicensed driving, exhibition of speed, and others ) are filed through the DA's office, most are still pursued as infractions unless there are sufficient priors.
The misdemeanor box was checked out but traffic court was selected with a court date given, I have 0 priors besides a fix it ticket.

CdwJava

The misdemeanor box was checked out but traffic court was selected with a court date given, I have 0 priors besides a fix it ticket.
You shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's default to check the misdemeanor box for these sorts of offenses, and the court will either refer it to the DA for a filing decision, or just process it straight as an infraction. I have never once known a DA to file one of these as a misdemeanor absent priors or a specific request by the agency (and even then, it is unlikely). Aside from DUI and the occasionally serious reckless driving case, most potential misdemeanor traffic cases are filed as infractions in Traffic Court.

Hybrid707

I am happy to hear that you didn’t film yourself doing doughnuts. Your stunt was definitely not smart but it was not as dangerous as it could have been.

You can provide the county but it is generally best on this forum to not post anything that can lead to your identity. If you consult with an attorney in your area, he would probably advise against it.
Yea I wasn’t doing it to try and get exposure or anything. The track has just been closed and unfortunately I got the itch and made a mistake

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">